Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Give it to GG! She'll Try It! She'll Try Anything!

In the world of kids, there are about four things that most will eat without hesitation.  Chicken Fingers, Mac and Cheese, peanut butter and jelly, and cheeseburgers.  Most of the time grilled cheese can be added to that list.  In my house we do have those things, but I also try to introduce the girls to new things, not to mention vegetables at lunch and dinner.  Sonya has always been a pretty good eater.  She'll usually try something, even if she has preconceived notions about not liking it.  I don't mind, as long as she tries it.  As I've mentioned on here before, Lana is my VERY picky eater.  PB&J and grilled cheese are about the only things she will definitely eat.  Everything else is a crap shoot.  Even mac and cheese she won't touch.  What kid doesn't like mac and cheese??  Mine.  To the point of gagging when I was trying to feed it to her a few days ago.  Then there is Georgia.   This is about the age they start to select what they will and won't eat.  For what Lana won't eat, Georgia will.  That kid will eat just about anything I put in front of her.  She doesn't love veggies, but she's even getting used to those.  I realized just how UNpicky an eater was on New Year's Day, when we had dinner.

 I guess I should first clarify what we had and why.  I'm sure some of you have heard of the "good luck" kind of dinners people prepare on New Year's Day.  If you eat it you're supposed to have a good year.  Me, being slightly superstitious, and our family in need of some good luck, I decided to make it.  We always had one of those meals when I was a kid on New Years.  It was my most dreaded meal of the year, because I didn't really like it.  It was especially painful after having a week long period of everything I LOVED to eat.  New Year's Day was some sort of pork roast, which I don't hate, but don't particularly love, and sauerkraut which I did hate.  We'd also have some kind of potato and veggie which I was fine with, but weren't the good luck part.  I had no idea what the meaning of it was, just knew I had to eat it.  My mom told me recently the pork was eaten because pigs root forward for their food, so we can go forward in the New Year.  She had no idea about the sauerkraut.  It's kind of like how I can never get anyone to give me a straight answer as to why we don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent.  It's just something you do and that's that.  

SO!  There I was with our meal on New Year's Day of pork, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and veggies.  I was pretty sure the mashed potatoes would be the only thing the girls would eat.  Oh well, there was always breakfast the next morning!  True to form, that was all Lana would allow pass her lips.  Well, that and a bit of roll I let her have.  Sonya had some of the pork and potatoes, but barely tasted the sauerkraut.  I looked over at Georgia's plate about half way through dinner and she had eaten most of the potatoes, half her pork and ALL of the sauerkraut.  Then she pointed to the pile of sauerkraut on my plate and said, "Mo pease!"

I didn't think she was talking about the sauerkraut so I pointed to the potatoes and she shook her head.  Then I pointed to the kraut, she got excited, smiled and said "ES!" So I gave her a bit.  She immediately ate that and pointed again at my plate asking for "mo".  Again I gave her more, until all of it was gone from my plate.  Then I gave her some from the serving plate.  She just continued to eat it.  She must have had at least a quarter of  the can on her own.  I couldn't believe it.  What 18 month old likes sauerkraut??  Mine.  

I do hope she continues to try new things and her sisters don't keep her from liking anything.  Already I have Sonya "eeewwww"ing her when she eats something, she decides is gross.  I'm sure she will eventually fall prey to what they think, but in the meantime, at least I can try new recipes and know one of my kids will eat it.  And whatever luck it is that the sauerkraut brings, Georgia will definitely have it for 2010.  Hopefully it has something to do with money.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Give it to GG!" is great writing, entertaining, so honest and very funny, I love your blog and reading about the children. The toothfairy story is wonderful and loved the way you explained that the toothfairy doesn't give gifts, toys, and makeup to everyone, That some children get a $1.00 is so funny, but stick to it! I think we had a silver dollar and hid it and the toothfairy used it over and over! It worked. But children today are so much smarter. Afterall you live on the same street that the toothfairy brings toys. LOL

Your blog on eating for good luck on New Year Day is also funny and true. Coming from PA, this brings back memories. And, I still make everyone eat pork and sauerkraut for Good Luck! But, I have to say that Georgia is not only a great eater, but she is also brilliant! Brilliant for loving sauerkraut. I was told that sauerkraut was and is considered good luck when you eat it because although it is simply pickled cabbage fermented in salt...it is the cabbage that is used for prosperity because it's outer, green leaves folded represent "money". So, Georgia may be the one to have found the secret at such an early age. Pork, "pigs" always forge ahead and never walk backwards. They are also "porky" so there is alot of meat which represents never having to want for anything; i.e., "good luck". Sounds like your New Year will be wonderful! We love your blog. Keep writing. You're doing great!!

Kristi said...

Hey anonymous! Do I know you? Thanks for the compliments.