Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Dadekian Infirmary Part 1

Posting has been light over the last week for a couple of reasons. The first one being EVERYONE in my house has been sick. Except me... yet. The second being, that my parents were here, which helped the first reason greatly, but left little time for my writing. I thought I'd tell you the tale of my life in the petri dish. Or the events in the HOUSE OF SICK. I think it may end up being a two parter.

It all started about a week and a half ago when Georgia developed a fever. There were no other symptoms, just the fever. That was two weekends ago. It lasted for about 5 days. Last Monday night, Andy said he wasn't feeling so great. He went to work on Tuesday, but by Wednesday he was holed up in our room armed with Motrin, a box of tissues, OJ, and the Playstation-which he never plays anymore. He got continually worse with a fever and then somehow contracted pink eye. Now for those of you who don't know, pink eye is EXTREMELY contagious. And I mean VERY. So you can see where this is going, right?

By Thursday, Georgia's fever was gone and she seemed fine, but Lana started to spike a temp. Friday, Andy went to see his doctor and was prescribed antibiotics and eye drops. He was told to stay away from everyone for two days. Kinda impossible in our house, but he remained in our bedroom. When he wasn't in there I Lysol bombed the room, with the windows open. I also took Lana and Georgia, who's fever was back, into the Pediatrician on Friday morning. Now, keep track because this was our FIRST visit. There will be a quiz at the end. Dr. Boxstein, who is a great Pediatrician, found that what they had appeared to be viral... for the moment. So Motrin, rest, and liquids, were the only prescriptions we walked away with. That afternoon the calvary arrived, and not a moment too soon. My parents were home to help me with dinner and the girls' bedtime routine that evening, since Andy wasn't much help at that point

Saturday, there was no one to add to the sick bay. Georgia seemed to be doing better but Lana was still very fevery and started her food strike. Andy was still on the crappy side of sick. And as much as I love my husband, he is not a fun sick person. Not that anyone is when they're sick, but there are levels of crankiness. He and Lana are at the bad end of that scale. We didn't do too much that day, as far as the kids were concerned. My mom and I ran some errands and the girls rested or played at home.

Sunday was Easter and we all planned on going to church in the morning. Andy was going to stay home and wait for my Grandpa and we'd see how the girls were in the morning. Sonya was still doing fine, and GG seemed to be better. The next morning appeared promising as the girls raced around the house searching for their Easter baskets that Easter Bunny had hidden. Once they found them, Sonya ate her entire bunny's head. The other two were not as interested. Lana was even striking eating chocolate. What the hell? BUT, she didn't really have a fever to speak of, so off to church we went!

As soon as we got there Georgia wanted nothing to do with my father holding her and asked for me. All morning she had been fine. All morning she was running around and ate her breakfast. A lot of it. Which is why I was surprised when I sat down with her at church, and she threw up all over herself and me. I guess I shouldn't have been that surprised, because when she did sit on my lap she laid her head on me and kept saying,

"I frow up mommy. I frow up." Then she did.

There was no cleaning that mess up easily. I went home to clean her up and left my parents and the other two kids at Easter Mass. The whole way home in the car she kept saying,

"I frow up. I frow up mommy." Yes, Georgia, I'm well aware. The horrible smell kinda gave it away.

After I got her home and got her and myself cleaned up, I left her with Andy and headed back to church. Mass was about three quarters of the way over. (Score for me! Just kidding mom.) When I got there Lana decided to lay on me and she was starting to feel warm. By the time we got home she had a fever again, and I put her right down for her nap.

The rest of the day was good. We had a nice meal and the kids had an Easter egg hunt in the backyard. As long as Lana had some Motrin in her she did okay. When it wore off though, not good times. Georgia didn't get sick again for the rest of the day and even ate a bit of food later on, so I had no idea what her vomiting was about.

Monday my mom wanted to go to the outlet mall to buy the girls some new clothes. We opted to leave Lana with my father for the day to rest and not have the other two to contend with. Andy was finally on his way back to work. Even though he wasn't 100% I think he needed to go back. Okay, I needed him to go back. Georgia seemed completely better. Sonya, still good. After we picked her up from school we headed out. We had a fun day shopping and dining on In-N-Out burgers for lunch. We arrived home about 4:45 and as soon as Lana came running out to greet us, I saw it. Gunk in her eye. Uh-oh. I showed my mom and she agreed it looked like pink-eye. I ran inside, called the pediatrician, and since I live two minutes from them, was able to bring her in for a quick look. (That's the second time for those keeping track) Sure enough, that's what she had and how fun is this! I got drops to put in her eyes. TWICE A DAY!! Do you have any idea what it's like to put eye drops in a three year old? Consider yourself lucky if you don't.

I was thankful when Tuesday came, because my parents were sending me to the spa for part of the day as my birthday/Mother's Day gift. The kids were fine all day. Lana still had her fever and gunky eyes, so she was up and down and still not eating, but Sonya was still healthy. That was a plus. Georgia had a cough, but the fever hadn't come back since Friday. When I came home my father mentioned Georgia's eye looked like it had stuff in it. I checked it and didn't see anything, so I didn't worry about it. Then yesterday happened.

Stay tuned for Part 2 of this riveting tale! Coming tomorrow afternoon when I have more time to write. Here's a preview:

We go back to the doctors! TWO MORE TIMES! And just WAIT until you hear what everyone has! Stay tuned...

No comments: