Monday, August 16, 2010

Back To School!

Today is a bittersweet day for me. Usually, when I write I have the younger two down for a nap and Sonya next to me doing some kind of schoolwork. Now, however, Sonya won't be sitting next to me during writing time anymore, because today is the first day of 1st grade. The first day of ALL DAY school.

If you would have talked to me about a month ago, this day couldn't come fast enough. She was starting to drive me summer crazy. The kid really needed more scheduled activities then I provided for this summer, but live and learn. Then about a week and a half ago I got sad thinking about her being gone all day. I would no longer be making and having lunch with her. She would no longer sit next to me, trying to talk as I tried to write. Those thoughts left me a bit gloomy. Then fifteen minutes later she did something to make one of her sisters yell and I was back to hoping this day would quickly get here. Of course now that it is here, I am back to a bit gloomy. I guess it has something to do with how great she was yesterday afternoon and this morning. She was so excited to start 1st grade. She had gotten the teacher she wanted and her best friend, Lourdes is in her class. She was much less apprehensive than she was last year and just generally excited. I guess this excitement put her in a good mood because she decided to be extra pleasant for a while. Everything was,

"Yes, mommy. Okay Mommy, whatever you say mommy."

Then this morning I woke up about 6:45 to the sounds of her moving around a chair in the kitchen and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse playing on the TV. I dragged myself out of bed, put my slippers on and headed down the hall. As I walked into the kitchen, I found Sonya fully dressed in her new first day of school clothes, standing on a chair about to pour milk into a cup for Lana. Lana, who Sonya had convinced to go potty and trade her pull-up for underwear already, was sitting watching Mickey. Usually it takes me at least ten minutes of begging Lana to change into underwear in the morning. Not for Sonya though, nope. Sonya got her to do it first thing. She had also gotten out the cereal she wanted and a bowl from the clean dishwasher. I peeked into her room to find her bed had already been made as well.

WOW!

Why can't EVERY day be the first day of school?? Or at least the first day of 1st grade. Something tells me the first day of 10th grade won't really go the same way. Something tells me the 10th DAY of first grade won't go the same way either. The only thing she hadn't done was get Georgia out of her crib, but I don't think I'd really want her attempting that anyway.

I commended her on what a great job she had done. She smiled with pride. Then she poured her own cereal and milk. I debated about going back to bed, letting her pack her own lunch, and taking herself to school, but since it was the first day I figured I should help out some.

She was ready to go in record time and asked me to curl her hair since we had an extra moment. I did as she asked, since she was being so great. She looked so much older to me now, as I watched her walk off to the bedroom to go check her hair out in the mirror. She is no longer a baby at all. She is a true little girl. I still say she is little, because until she hits 10 she is little as far as I'm concerned. Even then it's up for debate.

So here I sit all alone in a quiet house with two sleeping kids and one at school all day. I am more morose then I thought I would be.

Then again, here I am in a QUIET house with two SLEEPING kids and one at school ALL DAY! What the hell am I so sad about? Soaps and bon bons here I come!! Or perhaps a nap first. Oh decisions decisions! ( I'll just pretend I don't see that pile of dirty dishes in the sink. )

Happy first day of 1st grade Sonya. I know you are going to be a bright and shining star!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awwww. Congrats Sonya (and Kristi and Andy!). We know she'll do so well in school!