Friday, October 15, 2010

Little Miss Smarty Pants

A few weeks ago, I got a letter in the mail from Sonya's school informing us that she would, once again, be receiving an award.  I talked about the award she received last January in Kindergarten on this blog and how proud we were of her for being a "Peace Builder".  This time she would be receiving an award for Academic Achievement.  Yes, I will brag and say we have a very smart daughter.  It appears we are raising a bit of a nerd in fact. As it turns out, that's good when you're on the parent side of life.  I know it's not so great when you're the smart kid being called the nerd, but she is still only a first grader.  I don't think kids start labeling until a little further on in school, but she's certainly headed in that direction.  That's fine by me!  Better than being the troublemaker.  I may end up with one of those too, though.  We'll see.  


Andy and I went to the school yesterday for the assembly to watch Sonya receive her award.  She was so proud of herself and happy to get it.  What she was even more excited about, was when her friend Gwen's name was called up for an award as well.  Sonya became so thrilled for Gwen I thought she was going to fall head first off the bleachers.  I think I may have been more proud about her enthusiasm for her friend, than I was for her to actually get her own award.  I love how she is so happy for others good fortune.  That's a rare thing to find in most people, let alone kids.  


Later on, after school, she was sitting at the kitchen counter getting ready to do her homework.  We were talking again about her award and how proud of her I was.  I told her that she had received that award because she does such hard work and that it's important to keep it up.  Then she said to me, 


"You know mom, the principal is just like Santa."


I couldn't wait to hear this one.  So I asked, "Why's that Sonya?"


"Well, because Principal Taylor sees all the students and watches them and gives you an award if you do a good job." She told me.  "Santa does the same thing.  Except he give you presents."


"I guess that's true," I agreed.  


It's a pretty smart comparison, if you ask me.  Then again, I guess that's why she got the Academic Achievement award.  

No comments: