Thursday, January 20, 2011

It's Not Just Me

I have always subscribed to the notion that my life is a movie.  Well since high school I've thought that way.  Most of you just said "huh?" and realized how crazy I am.  (Really, it took you this long?)  I'm sure there are some of you out there who totally get what I'm saying.  I know there is at least one.  My friend Trista and I have had this discussion about our lives being movies many times.  I always just thought it was me, until one of us brought up the idea when we were in college.  Since then anytime something crazy or funny happens to one of us we'll say, "See!?  Movie!"  I suppose this concept isn't completely far fetched, especially nowadays with all the reality shows.  Half of the country is a movie, or at least a TV show.   I see no reason why The Dadekians wouldn't be just as entertaining at The Kardashians.  Well, except my girls aren't old enough to be sluttin' around with sports stars and celebrities.  Let's hope they don't get there.  Plus they're already smarter than those girls, at least from what I've seen.  I guess growing up watching so many movies and watching TV, not to mention wanting to act, probably helped the idea along.  Then the other day Sonya said something that made me realize that idea ISN'T completely crazy.  Unless I've just passed down my crazy gene to her. Also entirely possible.  


Georgia wasn't feeling well one evening last week.  Well, okay, there's more to the story than that.  Here's the short version.  Basically I think she either had a minor concussion or a migraine.  Not sure which, but she's all better now!  She fell out of the van trying to get out by HERSELF! which she insisted on.  She landed face first and hit the side of her forehead on the driveway.  It was a pretty bad hit, although she bonks her head quite often.  My sister, Megan who is the nurse in the family, gets calls from me from time to time asking about signs of a concussion.  For the rest of the evening she was cranky, wouldn't eat dinner and just generally miserable.  Possible concussion signs.  She was also extremely pale which is a sign of a migraine, and she kept saying she was going throw up.  Also a migraine sign, but also concussion.  I finally just decided to put her to bed.  Her pupils were fine and I was leaning more toward the migraine side of things, which meant she needed sleep.  




I was putting her and Lana to bed, but it was early, so I told Sonya she could stay up a bit.  She hung out in the girls room as I was tucking them in.  Then Georgia started again with,


"I gonna frow up, I gonna frow up!"


I could see this time she meant it.  I went to grab her to take her to the bathroom, but it was too late.  She puked all over the rug in her bedroom and, not to be completely gross, but it splattered EVERYWHERE.


Good times.  


I sent Sonya to get me some things to help clean up the mess, changed Georgia, and threw away the rug (which was in bad shape anyway.  No way in hell I was cleaning puke out of that thing.)  The smell lingered which it always does with throw up.  Oh well, so much for not being completely gross.    I sprayed some air freshener and lit a candle.  Sonya helped out some, but mostly she and Lana observed as I cleaned up the mess GG had left in her wake.  Then as I was settling everyone back down to bed Sonya said, kind of under her breath,


"I think this chapter would be called..."


She stopped when she saw me looking at her.  I thought she was talking to me, but apparently she had said something out loud that she hadn't meant to.  She told me as much when she saw me looking at her.  


"Well, why did you say that?  What are you talking about?" I asked.


Then she told me, "Well, I might as well tell you.  I have this idea that there is a man sitting and reading a book about this in front of a fire."


"You mean he's reading a book about us?" I said.


"Yeah.  About everything that happens to us." She replied.


"Huh," I said and immediately knew what she was talking about.  My life may be a movie, but apparently hers is a book.  


"That's interesting, Sonya.  Where did you get that idea from?"  I was curious as hell.  I mean she's only six.  How does a six year old think of things in that way?


"I don't know, I just did," was her reply.  I asked if it came from Andy or somebody else, but no.  It was a concept she came up with all on her own.


This made me feel better because first of all, it gives us something in common that I can completely relate to.  Secondly it means if I am crazy with my, "my life is a movie" notion, at least I know I have two people on my side now.  Even if I did have a hand in creating the second one.  

No comments: