Thursday, July 19, 2012

Who Needs Sleep?

You know what's fun?  Waking up at 4:30 to change your sheets because there's pee in the bed.  What's that you say?  That doesn't sound like fun to you?  Well you are not living then my friend!  Don't worry, it wasn't mine or Andy's.  Neither of us has ever been THAT drunk.  No, it was little Georgia's, and I promise she wasn't drunk either.  Okay, I'll back up and explain.


In the past couple months Georgia has been keeping her pull up dry at night on a pretty consistent basis.  Every once in a while it was wet, but she could go almost a week without an accident.  I've talked about dealing with her and Lana with this before.  Lana is still wet constantly, but Georgia seems to be showing signs of growing out of it.  So when we came back from vacation I tried to have her go without the pull up, and the first two nights she peed the bed.  Since I'm not a fan of changing the sheets in the middle of the night, I gave up.  Then one night last week, I forgot to put on her pull up, and lo and behold the next morning she was dry.  So we went with it.  That next night, she peed the bed, but I decided to try again. For almost a week now, she's been clean and dry and I was ready to claim victory.


Then two nights ago she woke up and wanted to come into our bed.  She was dry, but I made her go to the potty before she got in bed with us.  The problem with that was it woke her up a little to much.  Georgia gets a bit of insomnia from time to time and it took her TWO HOURS to go back to sleep.  Yes, TWO HOURS.  That means I'm awake during that time too, because she keeps calling for me.  Yay.


So last night she woke up again and wanted to come into bed with us.  This is something she does on a pretty regular basis, but I only let her stay for about five minutes before I move her back to her bed.  There is no sleeping with that kid.  Her tiny body takes up 3/4 of our queen bed pushing Andy and I to the edges.
When she came to my bed last night, I thought about taking her to the bathroom again, then remembered how wide awake that made her the night before and decided to take my chances.  It had been almost a week since she had an accident so we were all good, right?  Damn me for not listening to my first instinct.  You think I would know to listen to it at this point in my life.  


Every once in a while when she gets in bed with us, she and I will both fall asleep before her allotted five minutes is up.  That must have happened last night, because I awoke to her saying,


"Mommy, I pee-peed in my pants."


Through my sleepy haze, I was trying to figure out what she was telling me.  Once my brain comprehended, I reached out to feel her pants and that's when I felt warm liquid spread to my hip and leg.  DAMN!!


I jumped out of bed and my pajamas were soaked.  There was a huge wet area on the sheets and there was no getting around not changing them.  So up we all got at 4:30 in the morning, to change our pajamas and the sheets on the bed.


After everything was changed and in the process of being laundered, I was looking at 5 AM and a wide awake Georgia.  She tried to go back to sleep in her bed, Sonya's bed, her bed again with music, then back to our bed, where she FINALLY fell asleep a little before 6.  That was just in time for my alarm to go off for my morning workout.  Needless to say I pushed that back for a while.  Still, I'm exhausted and on my third coffee of the day.


So for those of you out there who have babies, I'm sorry to burst your bubble but even when they, "sleep through the night" there are still plenty of times when they don't sleep through the night.  You just don't have to feed them.  Or at least you probably shouldn't.  





No comments: