Friday, November 9, 2012

No Texting While Driving

This morning, as I was driving Georgia to school, I grabbed my phone at a stoplight.  I was going to take a picture of something, but the light changed before I had a chance, so I just held the phone in my hand for a second.  I PROMISE I wasn't doing anything on it, just holding it.  From the back seat Georgia says to me,

"Don't text, Mommy!!"

"Oh don't worry, Georgia, I'm not," I assured her.  "I was going to take a picture, but I didn't get a chance to.  I'm just holding it."  Then I put it down to show her I wasn't doing anything while driving.  Just for the record, I swear I do not text and drive.  I can't say I don't ever look at a text at a stoplight, but I always put it down when the light turns green.  Honestly, I don't know how people can text and drive at the same time.    

"Okay," she said.

"That's good that you know that I shouldn't text while I'm driving," I said.  "It's dangerous to do."

"Yeah," she agreed. "Because you will fall out of da ca."

"What?" I asked.

"You will fall out of da ca if you text when you awe dwiving," she told me. 

I'm not really sure where she got that idea from, and I thought about correcting her, but then I remembered that someday she will be driving.  Someday she will have a cell phone.  Someday she will be driving and have a cell phone.  So why not scare her into not using them together now.  So, I went with it.  

"Yup," I said.  "That could happen, so I never text while I'm driving.

"Yeah," she said.  "'Cuz you don't want to fall out of da ca!"


1 comment:

cynthia@talking to toddlers said...

Smart kid! I swear a lot of adults don't know that texting and driving is dangerous - or maybe they do and just don't care!