Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Getting a Full Grasp Of Language

There is a period of time with kids when they say things that are funny and adorable.  They know the language, because they've been speaking for a couple of years,  but sometimes they say things in the wrong context or even in the wrong order.  Words are familiar to them, but not entirely known.  The peak of this fun time is about ages four and five.  I've found that by age six, they are still saying things that might make you laugh, but they understand more. Then once they reach seven or eight they just say things that annoy or irritate you in some sort of attitudy tone.  Okay maybe not EVERY time they talk but pretty damn near.  Sonya would totally roll her eyes if she read that sentence.

Anyway-let's go back to the cuteness.  Georgia is right in the middle of that-I know what I'm talking about but saying the wrong thing-phase.  She makes me laugh every day because of some of the things that come out of her mouth.

 Last week we took a trip to the beach, just me and the girls.  It was a very relaxing day for all of us.  As we were all enjoying the slightly overcast, yet warm Malibu beach day, the lifeguard truck drove on the sand behind where we were camped out.  This is not unusual and we see one just about every time we go to the beach.  Still, it peaked the girls interest and provoked this exchange between the two little girls.

Lana asks, "Why is that car walking around here on the sand??"   I'm not sure why she said the car was walking-part of still not saying the right words I suppose.  She was also completely annoyed by the fact that the car was on the sand at all.  Before I could answer, Georgia piped up,

"It'sth a taxi in casth people get blowed out to the ocean."

She was very matter of fact about this, which prompted me to ask,

"How would it get to the people, Georgia?"  And why the hell was it a taxi, but I didn't get that far in my questioning.

She looked at me like I knew nothing, and said, "It turns into a sthubmarine and goesth to get them!"

Well of course it does!!  Why didn't I think of that?  I guess because I'm not five.  Damn, sometimes I really wish I was though.  The thought process at that age is so much more fun.  I can't believe I only have one year of it left.  I might be writing down a lot of what Georgia says, so prepare yourselves.  

No comments: