Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Clowning Around

Here we are a week and a half into school and back into the swing of things.  I have volunteered in Georgia's classroom once and Lana's just today.  I love to go volunteer in the class because it gives me insight as to how my kids are at school.  Mostly they act as I would expect.  Georgia, however, did surprise me a bit last week.  

Last year I volunteered in Lana's class every other week.  Despite the problems I have with her at home from time to time, she is great at school.  She listens, follows directions and plays well with others. Sonya has always been this way too.  They have been model students.  I suppose I just thought Georgia would behave accordingly.  

Now it's not that she didn't or was "bad" in any way.  It's just that...well...I think we may have a class clown on our hands.  It's not completely surprising.  It's the way she's always acted at home.  Trying to be goofy and make everyone laugh.  She is her father's daughter.  So I don't know why I was a little surprised last Friday when she was being silly with a friend sitting next to her, instead of doing her work.  Then when they went to sit on the rug to listen to the teacher's lesson, instead of facing the front and paying attention to the screen the teacher was pointing to, she was completely turned around to the back of the room paying attention to what, I don't know.  I tried to discreetly get her to turn around, but she wasn't even looking in my direction.  Now, in her defense, she wasn't the only one having a hard time sitting still.  It was the end of the first week of school for these five year olds, and they are still trying to get the hang of this paying attention for more than ten minutes thing.  But still, this is not anything I have ever seen from my other two.  

When I talked to Andy later on in the day he asked how Georgia was at school. I mentioned how she was a little goofy with the other kids and how I thought that perhaps she might end up becoming a class clown.  

"Really?"  He asked.  "Oh I like that!"  

"It is kinda funny," I admitted.  

"Ooohh...except that means she might get in trouble though," he realized.  

Yup.  

Well, not yet but just wait, my friends.  I have a feeling there may be some good stories coming from her this year.    

No comments: